Project Dragongate and Project Deadland

I couldn’t believe my eyes: I have found a bunch of old screenshots on an ancient CD. First of all there were five additional screen shots from Project Deadland, an attempt to build an isometric tile engine in the style of UFO/XCOM.

But it gets even better: In 1995, two years before I wrote the Deadland engine, I was attempting my hand at an U6 style tile engine. That project was lost a long time ago, due to combined hard disk and floppy-disk failures. There was even a whole design doc for this one, complete with a worked out story and all. It was a really big setback to my game programming ambitions when I lost all of that. Still, it’s cool to have at least some screen shots – I had thought that none survived.

Attentive readers (Hi, Pedro) will probably notice that some of the tiles look a lot like the one in U6, and indeed that did serve as the basis for many of them. But already you can see in these screens that I was working on replacing them (the walls, for example).

2 thoughts on “Project Dragongate and Project Deadland

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *